Behind Hopper

Edward Hopper is my favorite American artist, and I consider him the best in American Realism. I think that is the reason why others started following him.

One of them is John Register. He is also considered one of the most distinctive American realist painters because of his haunting artworks, that depict places without people. He was compared with Hopper and Register responded:  “With Hopper you witness someone else’s isolation; in my pictures, I think you, the viewer, become the isolated one.” In his paintings exist a vibrant tension between lights and shadows that provokes the isolation.


Register started his career at age of 33. One day in 1972, in New York, he left his advertisement job for a better life. He stood up at a meeting and telling his partners he had a dentist's appointment. And now we have his art.




He died in Malibu, California, on April 1996 at age of 57.


Comentarios